Dine by Design East is a juried dining space design show similar to Dinner by Design in Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto. 10 designers were selected to create dining spaces within a 10’ x 10’ space. Various events took place over the long weekend - including the opening gala – where designers were paired with top local chefs who created menus that reflected their dining space.
In collaboration with Herringbone Design, we thought the event would be a great lab for experimenting with ideas and materials, and expanding our circle within the design community.
Our outdoor room - COASTlight - was all about taking regional elements from the East Coast and giving them a contemporary spin. These updated features included:
- block wall inspired by stacked lumber
- ornamental grasses reminiscent of dune grass
- gravel and stone styled coastal modern
- a sail cloth canopy
- succulents in cool blues and green that evoke the sea
- custom built sofa, planters and wood-block wall (we worked our buns off here with a number of contributors and consultants)
Some shots of the construction process:
A breakdown of the elements:
A few more details:
And a couple of our favourite shots:
What a tremendous amount of work, but we had an amazing time and met so many great people, and proceeds went to a design scholarship to NSCAD University.
We can't wait to see this year's line-up!